Ms. Stewart is a certified ASL/English Sign Language Interpreter holding a Kansas certification level of 5/5. She serves as the assistant director in the Office of Disability Services, where she oversees all interpreting services on campus, and fills in as a substitute interpreter as needed. She also serves as an adjunct instructor for ASL classes through the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. She is a member of the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID), as well as the Kansas affiliate chapter of RID where she served as president for 5 years.
ASL Specialized Interpreting: Introduction to Healthcare Interpreting
This 0.5 credit hour course designed to promote an infusion of resources related to interpreting in healthcare. It will serve as an introduction to the benefits and challenges of interpreting in healthcare settings in an effort to prepare interpreters in making well- informed decisions about their readiness and qualifications for interpreting in these settings.
Upon completion of this badge, students will be able to:
- Define the skills that form the foundation for skilled healthcare interpreting.
- Recognize the personal skills necessary to provide skilled healthcare interpreting.
- Describe the importance of skilled healthcare interpreting to the Deaf community.
- Compare and contrast how ethical decision-making frameworks are applied in healthcare and other settings.
- Judge the readiness of personal skills to provide skilled healthcare interpreting.
Success in this 0.5 credit hour course is based on the expectation that students will spend, for each unit of credit, a minimum of 7.5 hours over the length of the course in direct instruction as provided by the instructor and an additional 15 hours outside of class reading, reflecting, and evaluating the topics for a total of 22.5 hours.
Grading Scale: Badge/No Badge
Evaluation: 100% completion of badge criteria
|32216||CSD 420 BA||Summer 2017|
This badge is offered for Undergraduate credit only.
Step 1- Complete the badge form.
Upon receipt of the badge form, a representative from Wichita State University will contact you to assist you with the Admission and Enrollment process.