This course provides an introduction to the law of commercial credit management by examining the general framework of business organizations. The course will examine the various types of business associations, determine liability for debts and obligations of those various types as well as taxing implications of the different business formations. It focuses specifically on the law of business associations with fundamental analysis on the law of agency as foundational to more higher-level and technical areas of law in specific business entities such as partnerships, limited liability companies and most importantly, corporations. It will end with providing an overview of federal and state statutes as well as how to research important judicial cases.
In this course, students will:
- Understand agency relationships with potential credit customers to assess the fiduciary position of representatives acting on behalf of others.
- Identify the various forms of legal business entities.
- Determine liability for debts and obligations of the various forms of business entities.
- Analyze ideal business entity forms in the context of credit worthiness given particular factual circumstances.
- Differentiate federal taxing implications among the various types of business entities.
- Understand specific parts of the most significant federal and state credit protection statutes including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
Successful completion of this badge is awarded 1.0 online hours of credit. Workload for completion is based on the expectation that students will spend a minimum of 15 hours in instruction over the length of the badge and an additional 30 hours on preparation, readings, studying, writing, research and other assignments as determined by the badge instructor. Activities will involve working online, participating in asynchronous activities, and other offline work.
Grading Scale: Badge/No Badge
Evaluation: For this badge course, a student must obtain at least an 85% score overall on performance on the six checkpoint quizzes. Schedule of module lessons and quizzes are at the end of this syllabus.