This badge will provide students with essential information about employee performance management. They will be exposed to ways to appraise performance. Students will also learn about performance appraisal, 360-appraisal, appraisers, evaluation biases, ways to evaluated employee behaviors, competences, and contributions on the job. Activities in the badge will allow students to practice performance feedback and learn ways to improve its effectiveness.
Upon completion of the badge students will be able to:
- Define performance and the purpose of performance management.
- Explain strategic, administrative and developmental uses of performance appraisal.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of multi-source (360-degree) appraisals.
- Describe the role of a performance appraiser and rater’s errors.
- Discuss ways to evaluate employee behaviors, competences, traits, and final results.
- Practice performance feedback and ways to improve its effectiveness.
Success in this 0.5 credit hour course is based on the expectation that students will spend, for each unit of credit, a minimum of 7.5 hours over the length of the course in direct instruction as provided by the instructor and an additional 15 hours outside of class reading, reflecting, and evaluating the topics for a total of 22.5 hours.
Grading Scale: Badge/No Badge
Evaluation: 100% completion of badge criteria
Bio: Gery earned her Ph.D. in Human Resource Management for the University of Central Florida in 2006.
Research: Workplace deviance, employee well-being, and HR practices for small business.
Sample Publications: She has published research in Nonprofit Management and Leadership, Journal of Social Psychology, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Management Research, Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, International Journal of Business Research and Management, Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, and International Journal of Strategic Management.