This 0.5 credit hour course emphasizes how to successfully compose a professional résumé and cover letter. Using open educational learning materials, students will learn how to write concise and professional business documents that are directly applicable to the field of business. Students will also learn about the proper composition of these documents, discuss them with their peers, and ultimately produce a résumé and cover letter of their own.
- Describe the core functions of an effective resume and cover letter.
- Identify persuasive and effective elements of resumes and cover letters.
- Analyze and correct resumes and cover letters for conciseness, grammar, punctuation, and successful content.
- Search local and national job listings that are suited towards individual’s professional and academic goals.
- Develop an applicable and effectual resume with an engaging cover letter.
Success in this 0.5 credit hour course is based on the expectation that students will spend, for each unit of credit, a minimum of 7.5 hours over the length of the course in direct instruction as provided by the instructor and an additional 15 hours outside of class reading, reflecting, and evaluating the topics for a total of 22.5 hours.
Grading Scale: Badge/No Badge
Evaluation: 100% completion of badge criteria
Michael Cole, MA
Michael works as a full-time Instructional Designer for the Media Resources Department and a adjunct instructor for the English department at Wichita State University. He obtained his BA and MA in English Language and Literature at Wichita State University and plans to begin his MFA in Creative Writing in the fall.
Michael has taught both online and face-to-face courses, including English Composition 011, 013, 101, and 102. He has also taught English 210: Business Writing and English 230: Exploring Literature.