This badge emphasizes how to successfully write for various social media mediums. Using open educational learning materials, students will learn how to develop a unique and professional social media tone that is directly applicable to their field of business. Students will also learn about the proper written composition for social media, discuss them, have written social media opportunities, and ultimately produce a professional blog site of their own.
Upon completion of the badge students should be able to:
- Describe the core functions of an effective social media writing.
- Identify persuasive and effective elements of high-quality social media platforms for business.
- Analyze and correct examples of writing for social media for conciseness, grammar, punctuation, and successful content.
- Practice developing professional tone through informal blog assignments.
- Develop a professional blog site that advertises their writing for social media.
Success in this 0.5 credit hour course is based on the expectation that students will spend, for each unit of credit, a minimum of 7.5 hours over the length of the course in direct instruction as provided by the instructor and an additional 15 hours outside of class reading, reflecting, and evaluating the topics for a total of 22.5 hours.
Grading Scale: Badge/No Badge
Evaluation: 100% completion of badge criteria
Michael Cole, MA
Michael works as a full-time Instructional Designer for the Media Resources Department and a adjunct instructor for the English department at Wichita State University. He obtained his BA and MA in English Language and Literature at Wichita State University and plans to begin his MFA in Creative Writing in the fall.
Michael has taught both online and face-to-face courses, including English Composition 011, 013, 101, and 102. He has also taught English 210: Business Writing and English 230: Exploring Literature.